Samuel Robert(Bob) Homeyer

Samuel Robert(Bob) Homeyer , born February 10, 1931, passed away peacefully in his sleep February  14, 2023 inKenedy.  Bob’s  parents W.T. (Bill) Homeyer and Annie Paralee (Cowan) Homeyer  preceded him to Heaven as did his sister Lora(Arthur) Madsen, brothers Jim (Sue)Homeyer, Dan (Fay)Homeyer, Joe (Mary)Homeyer, John Franklin Homeyer, and son in law Ben Alexander.

 He is survived by his wife of 72 years Ruth Jeannette (Bucek) Homeyer, son Robert A (Joyce) Homeyer (,  daughter Robbin Alexander, grandchildren Matt (Kelley) Homeyer ,Amy Alexander (Robert Seal, Mallory Homeyer (Blake)Herridge , Gina Alexander (Jim) Sugarek , Ben Ross(Genna) Alexander  and seven great grandchildren who lit up his face at the mention of their names: Kayce Jo Mayes, Hunter Mayes, Brooks Homeyer, Samantha Sugarek, Addison Homeyer, Decker Seal, Maxton Herridge and Meryl Herridge.

Bob was a member of the First Baptist Church in Kenedy all of his life.  He served as a deacon most of his adult life.  He and Eddie Ruhmann avoided actually attending  Sunday School by being greeters and ringing the dismissal bell.  Bob’s family teased him about the large number of “Sunday School Superintendents’ whose various responsibilities were somewhat of a mystery.

  It was at church Training Union (you might have to be a Baptist to know that term) where he and Ruth started their courtship.  Bob told the family that suddenly at a meeting one night, he looked up and “there was Ruth…” and the rest is history.  Bob and Ruth ‘double dated’ with his brother Joe and her brother Alan because Joe owned a car.  Alan would say later that one night  Joe and Bob were picking him up to go to a game… and here came Ruth out of the house, too.  

Bob and Ruth both  attended Kenedy High School and he was a Fighting Kenedy Lion.  One of his first games as a Lion he was able to play with his three older brothers.  

Shortly after he and Ruth married (December 2, 1950) Bob accepted the call of the government and served his country as a Marine in Japan. His children learned the Marine Corps Hymn right along with church hymns.  

It turned out that Bob was in Japan when his first child, Robbin, was born.  It very likely was the last major event he missed that she or Bobby was involved in. Bob would attend many Kenedy sports events over his life time. Of course, he played sports for Kenedy, but his children and grandchildren also wore the maroon and white in every sport…and he and Ruth rarely missed a game.  Fortunately, they were also able to attend many of the great grands’ sports events either in person or via video.

Bob was honored by the Lions recently by being asked to speak at a pep rally.  Bob enjoyed the opportunity to support and ‘advise’ the young men.

Bob chose to stay at the station rather than take other occupations so he could be his own boss and run things the way he felt he should.  He never missed an event that involved his family; he took his family to visit his parents weekly, he remained close to his siblings and their families.  He made certain his children were surrounded with Christian friends and family members.  Family birthdays and holidays  always meant plenty of food, singing hymns around an upright piano or sitting outside under the stars visiting.  Often these gatherings were at Bob’s parents, but many times everyone crowded into his home on Elm street.  No one realized at the time that it was small… it was always large enough for the whole crew. Life was good.

Bob and Ruth always welcomed their children’s friends. He was  a favorite of the neighborhood because when he got home just before dark after standing on the hot cement all day, the  kids would be waiting with a football for him to throw over and over until it got too dark to see.    Bobby and Robbin’s friends  often piled into the small living room to watch tv or just visit (it helped that Ruth might dash off a batch of cookies.)  Giggling and laughter are still melted into the walls.

Bob never put his children into a box. For example, his daughter wanted to hunt, so he taught her to shoot right along with Bobby.    She wanted to play baseball with the boys, that was fine; he taught her to bat and to pitch (she was a pretty good pitcher.)  She loved sports; he put up a basketball goal in the back yard where she and Bobby ruined all the grass by playing hours on hours.   He and Ruth never thought she wanted to be a boy ( even though she repeatedly tried to kiss her elbow at one point because she had heard that would turn you into a boy) ; they just accepted her.  She is so thankful they didn’t tell her she must be identifying herself as a boy because she would have missed out on her real life.  He was a father who discussed football stances with Bobby after a game, who never talked badly about the coaches,  who never gave a curfew, but indicated he knew you knew what time you should be in… and we did. He was a good father.

Bob became Pawpaw in 1980.  He hung tire swings, barbecued hamburgers, developed games that didn’t require him to move, picked kids up, dropped kids off, swam in pools, the ocean and the Frio, counted dogs on numerous car rides, was a human jungle gym on the living room floor, gave orders of “tacos and tea” to little waitresses, baited fishing poles at the coast and at the farm, held sleepovers, built forts, watched “Saved by the Bell,” knew all the words to the songs from “Jungle Book” and almost never missed a sporting event, cattle show, dance recital or band concert.  He was the grandfather that everyone dreams about.  He made EVERYTHING fun and his grandchildren never questioned his unconditional love.

In 2002, he became a great grandfather and continued all the traditions and fun with a new generation.  Although sometimes the games were a little slower, he still made every dinner, every Holiday, every random weeknight a time of fun and love. 

Considering Bob’s life, not just his words, but the way he lived, it is evident that he set a path and followed it as well as he could.  He took the words of the Bible seriously.  He studied God’s word by attending church and listening and filling his life with those precepts. He acted on the words of Jesus, not just rattled them off.  His work managing a service station he approached as we all should… with  a whistle and the teachings of Jesus to guide him. He, without even realizing it, witnessed daily with his attitude, fairness and reputation.  Ruth told us that even when he had worked all night, he would come home, clean up and go with his family to church. He didn’t consider being tired an excuse not to gather with God’s people. He didn’t worry about hypocrites or back stabbers as an excuse not to go, he went because Jesus said to. And he took his family.   Ruth inspired him all along the way.   He often said  he thought he never was a witness because he didn’t go to the Thursday night visitations, but the life he led was a witness, certainly to his children, grandchildren and great grands.

     Guillen Berret , a disease which attacks the nerves,  went undiagnosed long enough to totally debilitate him: he couldn’t even hold his torso stable, let alone walk or raise his arms or hold a fork.  He couldn’t speak and developed heart failure before a neurologist treated him for the disease.  It was almost too late; in fact, the treatment was slow taking effect and Bob was sent home from Methodist Hospital on hospice.  He also had a 13 inch , to the bone, bed sore.    God used the  care givers and nurses at John Paul II quite literally to bring him back to life.   it was a long grueling haul with lots of tough times in the nursing home, ot the least of which was overcoming the depression of having to be there, alone.    But with prayer and faith Bob chose one day to accept that he could still be of service by thinking of funny things to tell the care givers.  He said he decided to make their lives a little more interesting.  He began to serve right there in the nursing home.  When Ruth would visit every day, they both enjoyed visiting with the care givers .  COVID  was another attack on his faith, having to face not being able to hear Ruth or his family talk because of his hearing loss and the fact that they had to visit him through the closed window.  But Ruth came every day and sat outside the window with a dry erase board and marker.  Birthdays and holidays were celebrated with him inside waving and his family outside writing messages.  Tough times.  It would have been easy to be angry at God, but one day at a time, praying and praying… and he came through it.  Ruth finally joined him in the home after many months.  They rejoiced that God had brought them back together.

Bob told his children that their happiness was up to them, not to depend on people to make you happy, depend on Jesus and choose joy.  He warned not to sway with what ever is popular thought or whatever will get attention to you; stand on the Bible and its scripture.

    Considering his life as a whole… depending on Jesus works.

The world is better because this man has lived. Be changed by his life.  We are comforted that when he closed his eyes for the last time on Earth, his next sight was of the Lord in Heaven.  We can almost hear the Lord say, “Welcome home, good and faithful servant.”

Family Visitation will be held Friday, February 17, 2023 from 12:30 P.M. to 1:30 P.M. with Services to begin at 1:30 P.M. in the Eckols Funeral Home Chapel with Dr. Matt Homeyer officiating. Interment will follow in the Karnes County Memorial Park Cemetery in Kenedy, TX.

Serving as Pallbearers: Ben Ross Alexander, Robert Seal, Blake Herridge, Jim Sugarek, Bil Homeyer, Lee Homeyer, Jim Homeyer and Ty Homeyer.

Memorials may be made to John Paul II Nursing Home, 209 S. 3rd Street, Kenedy, TX 78119.